CIAC seeks to change attitudes, practices, and systems. Our work is motivated by the following beliefs:
• We believe that dying is a natural part of living.
• We believe that the best care is person-centered and developed through shared-decision making with patients, families, and interdisciplinary care teams.
• We believe that all people should receive physical, psychosocial, and spiritual care that aligns with their needs, values and goals, and honors their dignity.
• We believe that working together, we can take concrete actions to improve advanced illness care.
• Promote and facilitate honest and open conversations within families and communities about advanced illness care preferences.
• Build knowledge, skills, and engagement to help people make informed decisions and promote person-centered care in the advanced care delivery system.
• Enhance the quality and coordination of advanced illness care across community institutions and health systems.
• Expand and improve access to support services for seniors and their families and caregivers.
CIAC is convened by the Arlington Community Foundation and supported by the following organizations:
Marymount University * Virginia Hospital Center * Capital Caring
Goodwin House * Arlington Neighborhood Village * Arlington Area Agency on Aging
Interchurch Community Health Initiative * Commission on Aging